We have been talking a lot about our tour in Chernobyl, to experience Pripyat and see the reactors, you will most likely spend a few days in the close by capital city of Kiev. Kiev is a great city, and a highly recommended destination on its own. Here are some facts to back this up.
- Kiev is considered to be the oldest city in Eastern Europe. Official year of founding goes back to 482 AD.
- Kiev has now a population of about 3.2 million, but thousand years back it was the greatest city in Europe, fifty times the size of London and ten times the size of Paris.
- Kiev has one of the highest monuments in the world, the Motherland statue is 62 meters high and rises up to 102 meters when counting in the bottom part. The Statue of Liberty in New York rises up to 93 meters in total.
- Kiev has the deepest Metro line in Europe. The main mode of transportation in the metropolitan area travels over 100 meters below the surface.
- Kiev is now very, very affordable. The country still suffers from the 2014 revolution in economic terms and the local currency, Hryvnia, is at record low. You used to get 8-9 Hryvnia with one Euro, but at the time of writing the exchange rate was a staggering 28.
Here is a photo collection from our Kiev and Chernobyl Tour, more information about the trip HERE.